Tecno is the most used phone brand in Nigeria, Uganda, and DR Congo, accordimng to a newly released report that identifies the most popular brands of smartphones around the world.
The team at JohnsPhones analysed mobile Internet usage figures in 65 countries, to create a map of the most popular mobile phone brands across the globe in 2023.
According to the research we conducted, Apple and Samsung dominate the global smartphone market, with Samsung leading in terms of shipments in the third quarter of the year. Still, Apple continues to capture the lion’s share of the market globally. Out of the 65 countries we looked at, Apple is the top smartphone vendor in 29 countries.
These are the most popular smartphone brands around the world as of October 2023:
Here are a few key takeaways from the report:
– Apple dominates Western markets, while Samsung is the top choice in Eastern Europe, South America, and Africa.
– Chinese vendor Xiaomi has the largest market share in India, but also interestingly, in Spain and Greece.
– Tecno (a subsidiary of Chinese phone maker TRANSSION) is the most used phone brand in Nigeria, Uganda, and DR Congo
– Oppo, another phone manufacturer from China, is the top choice in Indonesia and the Philippines
– In the first half of 2023, iPhone 14 Pro Max was the best-selling smartphone globally in terms of shipments with 26.5 million devices shipped, followed by iPhone 14 Pro (21 million units) and iPhone 14 (16.5 million units)
– Global smartphone shipments shrank slightly (1.07%) YoY in the third quarter of 2023, with Samsung seeing significant decline of 8.58% to 58.6 million units; Apple’s shipments dropped 5.66% to 50 million units
– The only major smartphone vendors to see a year-over-year rise in shipments in that period are Xiaomi (up 2.47%) and TRANSSION (up 39.78%)
– Samsung lost roughly 2% in market share in terms of shipment and Apple lost around 1%; TRANSSION, on the other hand, now had a 9% market share compared to 6% in the third quarter of 2022
For this analysis, we looked at the latest statistics for phone vendor market share by web analytics firm StatCounter, as well as figures for the global sell-in shipments of smartphones in the third quarter of the year, released by technology market analysis firm Canalys. We also used the latest data for the most shipped smartphone models by technology research firm Omdia.
More information about the current smartphone market and the full methodology we used are available in our full report.